Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Y2K

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 06:29:06 -0400

To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 99 11:26:46 PDT
From: "Willis H. Ware" <willis () rand org>

 A msg had been circulated that evidently originated with some lawyers
 advising people to get an SSA earnings statement.  The message raised the
 spectre that the SSA could crash and all records of past earnings lost.  I
 guess lawyers have never heard about back-up tapes and similar
 precautions.

 From my point of view, it was unnecessary panic-type hype of the kind that
 we've seen too much of and I answered as below.

 If anyone is interested, the URL for the OMB/Y2K Council that rates
 USGovernment systems is:

          http://www.y2k.gov

                                          willis