Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Software Plan a Travesty for Consumers

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 15:24:26 -0400

From: "Gillmor, Dan" <DGillmor () sjmercury com>
To: "'Dave Farber '" <farber () cis upenn edu>

http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/columns/gillmor/docs/dg080199.htm

   THE Information Age was supposed to be all about empowering individuals,
and in some small ways it has happened. But big business and big government
are moving swiftly to ensure that power -- real power -- will never fall
into the hands of regular folks.

   The powers-that-be are pushing all kinds of intrusions on your rights as
a consumer and citizen. In the past several weeks, we've lost considerable
ground.

   Two months ago I warned about the so-called Uniform Computer Information
Transactions Act, or UCITA. On Thursday, the National Conference of
Commissioners for Uniform State Laws endorsed UCITA, one of the most grossly
anti-consumer proposals of recent times.