Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Clarification on With Stock as Bait, Microsoft Lures Elite Professors

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 14:57:49 -0400

From: Raj Reddy <rr () cs cmu edu>

Friends,

I sent the following letter to the Editor of Post

------------begin letter

The Editor
Washington Post

I am dismayed by the tone of the Post article "Microsoft Skims Off Academia's Best for Research Center"

In particular, the phrase "Microsoft Corp. is luring faculty elites to its research center at a pace so fast that some
campus departments say they're being picked clean" is a gross overstatement.

What I said was " Yes, MSR hiring has had serious impact on us.  We win some and lose some on new hires (e.g. Steve
Seitz).  That is the natural order of things.  MSR is the only industrial group strongly supporting basic research in
CS and IT.  Universities like CMU must continue to formulate and forge ahead in new directions that are not yet
commercially attractive.  Because, Industry can in general bring an order of magnitude more resources to bear on near
term opportunities than CMU."
Hope this helps to clarify the situation for your readers.

Raj Reddy
Dean,  School of Computer Science, WH 5325
Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh PA 15213-3891
Tel: 412-268-2597       Fax: 412-683-5348
Email: rr () cmu edu       Homepage: www.rr.cs.cmu.edu

-----------end letter

Best
Raj Reddy