Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Should MIT Unplug Faceless Emailer? from Telecom Digest

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 09:54:16 -0400

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 22:06:33 -0400
From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom COM>
Subject: Should MIT Unplug Faceless Emailer?

By Margaret Kane, ZDNN
April 13, 1999 4:50 PM PT
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- It's called the "re-mailer," a computer server
that allows you to send anonymous e-mail messages. And the big
question on Tuesday was whether the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology should pull the plug on it.
The question: Will its faceless missives allow even amateur crooks to
plot, steal and hide? Or would they serve to protect whistle-blowers
and human rights workers?
And so it was along that divide that re-mailer became the focus of a
spirited debate among government and technology experts participating
in a panel as part of the 35th anniversary celebration of the school's
pioneering Computer Science Lab.
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2241595,00.html

[TELECOM Digest Editor: Last week did mark the 35th anniversary of
what we call lcs.mit.edu, and heartiest congratulations are due
the members of the staff there, especially those who have worked
with me over the years in providing the resources for this Digest and
the archives. The archives has always been at MIT except for a short
stay at Boston University in the middle 1980's, even though the Digest
itself was produced at various locations over the years including
Boston University, Northwestern University, and, I believe for a while
at Stanford in the early 1980's. I've been back at lcs.mit.edu since
around 1994 or so, and in a sense sorry I did not just stay here
all along. The connectivity is superb, the technical assistance is
great, although I try not to bother the staff at LCS any more than
absolutely necessary.
In some correspondence with Mary Ann Ladd, a sysadmin at LCS regarding
the 35th anniversary, I asked her if she ever wondered what things
would have been like if back in 1964 we had known then what we know
today regards networking, the internet, etc. Wow! I know how much I
have always wished there were such things as computers when I was in
high school ... what a blast we would have had. And considering what
the past 35 years have brought us, what are we to expect in the next
35 years? Imagine life with computers even in 2010, let alone 2034. It
took years to develop computers that could be used on a telephone line
at a speed of 110 or 300 baud. My first BBS ran at 110/300. Then
someone developed a hardware mod for the Apple modem card which
allowed it to 'race along' at 450 baud. After a couple years, 1200
baud modems were available but quite expensive. Then 2400, 9600
... and today we have a closet full of old 9600 baud modems we cannot
give away. The jump from 300 to 9600 was only a few years, and now in
the past four or five years 28K and 56K are 'acceptable'. I will bet
you that by 2034 everyone -- and I mean everyone, 95 percent of the
population or more -- will be connected via cable or LAN or something
like that. Speeds of 115K will be the norm. Most people will simply
talk to the computer and listen to it; there will be little typing.
People today with massive amounts of technical knowledge regards
computers will maybe know ten percent of what there is to know in
total. That's how I am with telecom now; years ago I *knew* the phone
company inside and out. Today I can barely keep up with it and know
very little about whole segments of the industry.
Perhaps I am better off having grown up as a child with no such thing
as a computer. Now I can really see and comprehend what it was that
I missed and appreciate it even more, not just taking it for granted.
And for the telecom object lesson out of all this, someone said to me
the other day, "NOW, can you appreciate the thrill that must have
surged through the souls of people like Alex Bell, Ted Vail and others
at the 35th anniversary celebration of AT&T back in the early years of
this century we are now departing? When *they* stopped to ponder the
question of where things were leading ... " Yeah ...
The Telephone Pioneers began around 1900 when a couple dozen of the
people who had been with AT&T since Day One decided they should have a
club for themselves. In later years as all the old people died, the
rule was changed to say that members had to have at least twenty years
of employment with Bell. I wonder if the time has come for an 'Internet
Pioneers' organization? If enough people send me some sort of valid
evidence that they were active on the net at least 15-20 years ago and
express an interest in an association among themselves and a web page
or mailing list, perhaps I will start such a thing. It might be purely
social, or perhaps a mix of social and service to the net and the
newcomers who are arriving -- not quite at the rate people are fleeing
from Kosovo -- but pretty darn fast, to the net community daily.
I got 'started in computers' -- in a personal way at home, having used
them since 1968 where I was employed -- in 1979, when Daniel Kritchevsky
brought me an Ohio Scientific C-1-P and then sat there patiently with
me day after day as I learned how to use it; how to find where the
'any' key I was supposed to press was located. The first night I had
it, he taught me how to program a simple print statement "I am a
computer programmer". And he said, having made the computer print that
statement out over and over on the screen, I *was* a programmer now,
" .. and don't you forget it .." Then someone else told me about Usenet
and Jon Solomon taught me how internet mailing lists operate. Before
that, I knew zilch about it.
Shortly after that I got Bill Pfieffer started; he knew less about
computers when he started than I did a few years before that. And in
the time this Digest has been around, several mailing lists and newsgroups
have started as offshoots from here including Computer Underground Digest,
Computer Privacy Digest, alt.dcom.telecom and comp.dcom.telecom.tech.
Daniel Kritchevsky, if you are somewhere reading this, thank you!
A good way to show your gratitude for work that has been done at places
like MIT is getting a neighbor or friend or family member 'started in
computers'. Make a web page for someone; teach them how to use an online
service; sell or give them an older unused but still workable computer.
Share with people the *good news* of what's happened with computers in
the past 35 years; how we have no earthly idea where things will be at
35 years from now, but that *you* want *them* to be in on it. You never
know when your efforts might result in a new mailing list or newsgroup
twenty years from now; or maybe the person will discover and develop
a new technology to benefit the net. Don't worry if you do not have a
computer science degree; most of us don't. To LCS/MIT I say thanks for
all you have accomplished. To the rest of you I ask, who have you
gotten started in computers recently? Thanks for reading! PAT]