Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Another Anotherpoint of view on More on With Stock as Bait, Microsoft Lures Elite Professors

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 18:40:12 -0400

I was about to send out a similiar note so here is Craigs instead djf

To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: Anotherpoint of view on More on With Stock as Bait, Microsoft Lures Elite Professors
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 11:43:20 -0700
From: Craig Partridge <craig () aland bbn com>

[Dave -- for IP if you think useful]

Re: Stock as Bait

There's a point here that I think some of the posters are missing.

When a researcher moves from academia to industry, in almost all cases,
that researcher stops teaching.  And many of the folks we are watching
come to industrial facilities are top teachers.  When an outstanding
instructor leaves, typically hundreds of undergraduates and tens of
graduate students EACH YEAR are getting a less good education.

Those students are precisely the people that industry is relying
on to provide technical leadership at the project level a few years
later.

Some loss of researchers each year is inevitable. Indeed, it can be
healthy -- as some folks noted, researchers want to make an impact, and
sometimes that impact is best made in industry.  But there's a perception
that the pace at which researchers, especially senior people who seemed
happily settled in academia, are leaving teaching has increased.

Craig Partridge
Chief Scientist, BBN Technologies
Consulting Asst Professor, Stanford University