Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Internet censoring sea-change?

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 09:04:39 -0400

Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 09:06:00 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Steve Papa <spapa () mba1999 hbs edu>
Subject: FYI - Internet censoring sea-change?

Regarding the broadcast of Clinton's testimony - It appears, for MSNBC at
least, that the unedited version will be sent over the air-waves and a
censored version will be sent over the net.

------------------

C-SPAN, which is committed to carrying full live coverage of House and
Senate proceedings, will repeat the entire testimony
from 8 p.m. EDT (midnight GMT).

``We'll air whatever the House Judiciary Committee approves for broadcast.
It will contain verbal and on-air warnings that
content may not be appropriate for some audiences and it will also be
simulcast on our website, with a seven-second delay,''
said MSNBC spokeswoman Kyle Kaino.

The delay on the Internet will enable it to edit out ''inappropriate
material,'' MSNBC said in a statement.