Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: hear hear

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 17:56:02 -0400

To: Recipient List Suppressed:;;;@nytimes.com;@nytimes.com;;;;;;;;;  Subject: hear hear...
Sender: rberger () ibd com
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 20:55:54 +0000
From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ibd com
To: San Francisco Examiner Editors <letters () examiner com,
 San Francisco Chronicle <chronletters () sfgate com,
 San Jose Mercury News Editors <letters () sjmercury com,
 USA Today Editors <editor () usatoday com,
 Salon Magazine Editors <salon () salonmagazine com,
 Drudge Report <DRUDGE () DRUDGEREPORT COM,
 National Enquirer Editors <letters () nationalenquirer com,
 LA Times Editors <letters () latimes com,
 US Newswire News Desk <newsdesk () usnewswire com,
 Bloomberg Feedback <feedback () bloomberg net,
 ABC News Letters <letters () abc com,
 CNN On Air Feedback <cnn.onair () cnn com,
 MSNBC Opinions Editor <letters () msnbc com,
 NY Times Editors <letters () nytimes com,
 Boston Globe Editors <letter () globe com,
 Hill News Editor <jyngling () hillnews com,
 Roll Call Online Editors <JMM () rollcall com,
 NY Daily News Editors <voicers () pop nydailynews com,
 Time Magazine Editors <letters () time com,
 US News Editors <wallman () usnews com,
 Forbes Magazine Editors <letters () forbesdigital com,
 The New Republic Editors <letters () thenewrepublic com,
 National Review Editors <nronline () nationalreview com,
 Reuters Washington Editors <washington.daybook.newsroom () reuters com
Subject: Zippergate is a call for national self-evaluation

I (and I suspect the majority of the world's population) find the media's and
politician's call for Clinton's resignation or impeachment an expression of
incredible hypocrisy.

In the context of everyday Washington life, Clinton's crime was that he was
caught at having sex with someone who he was not married to. Obviously this is
not something we would like to see our President involved with. But it is
"common knowledge" (i.e. if you asked most people) that most of the Beltway
community is awash in sex, money and power plays. Those three elements are
interchangeable and are the commodities of Washington.

In the light of what most people think really goes on in Washington where
there are stories of Senators/Representatives having sex in cloakrooms or
their offices or off site in hotels, Clinton's escapade is almost cute.
Stories abound of old power brokers seen at private clubs and functions with
young call girls on each arm, presidents like Kennedy had a revolving door of
women coming in to the White House facilitated by his staff. Other presidents
were known to have mistresses and the Burt confessional shows that the biggest
attackers are the biggest hypocrites.

In the case of Clinton & Lewinsky, it was at least consensual and there was no
power play to exchange sexual favors for access to government power.

And how many of the press are free of adultery, exploitation of young things
and white lies to cover it up?

I think its strange that the politicians and the press are willing to
grandstand about how immoral Clinton is and let Starr get away with the
destroying fundamental separation of powers of the government. Starr spent
$40M+ on what was supposed to be a Whitewater investigation, and whose report
contained NOTHING about Whitewater or other illegal activity and dwelled
entirely on the sexual conduct of the President and his attempt to keep it
private.

So if these self-righteous politicians and press feel that sexual conduct is
so important, lets have a national self evaluation of our sexual morality and
expectations. Lets have a complete witch hunt and out all of the politicians
and press who have had adulterous or other "immoral" activities. Since we
don't seem to care about real abuse of power like Iran/Contra, tobacco
lobbyists, environmental destruction, overpopulation, soft money, cronyism,
etc., this would be even better than term limits as it would truly get rid of
the bulk of the professional politicians.

Apply the same standards to the media and we will no longer be bombarded by
hypocritical messages from the news and commentators.

--
Robert J. Berger - Internet Bandwidth Development
14510 Big Basin Way #253 Saratoga, CA 95070