Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: EDUCAUSE endorsement

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 20:17:43 -0400

From: Mike Roberts <mmr () darwin ptvy ca us>
To: ifwp-discuss () itu int

IFWP Friends and Colleagues -

It's been a good summer. We've hosted productive meetings and
many more people are on common ground with respect to the new
corporation than was the case in May.

However, it's time to move on.  The Councils need to be organized,
and work agendas pulled together.  The contracts among the
USG and NSI and the new corporation have to be put in place.
Startup funds must be raised.  All of these are things that
IFWP is ill-equipped to do.

We have posted an endorsement of the planning work that has been
done by IANA and will be working within that framework to
represent our members' interests.

A copy is appended below.

We will be leaving IFWP and this list as soon as Bob takes us off.

Best Regards,

- Mike Roberts
  EDUCAUSE

----------

September 10, 1998

Comments of EDUCAUSE on the
Proposed Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws of the IANA Corporation

The purpose of these comments is to express the strong support of EDUCAUSE,
an association of more than 1500 American colleges and universities, for the
draft Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws of the Internet Assigned
Assigned Numbers Corporation, in the versions posted as of this date
at www.iana.org.  We believe that these documents fulfill the principles
and intent of the White Paper issued by the U.S. Government in May, 1998
and form an effective basis on which the U.S. Government, the Network
Solutions Corporation (a U.S. Government contractor), the Information
Sciences Institute of the University of Southern California
(a U.S. Government contractor), and other interested parties
may transfer and transition to private sector management the core
technical and administrative functions of the Internet set forth
in the White Paper. (See www.ntia.doc.gov for text of the White Paper.)

In making this endorsement, we take particular note of the following items:

(1) The structure of the new corporation fulfills the requirements of the
White Paper.

(2) The proposal is consistent with creating the least amount of bureaucracy
while encouraging and protecting open participation by Internet
constituencies and users.

(3) The structure of the corporation strikes an appropriate balance among
competing
Internet interests falling within the scope of the White Paper.

(4) The proposal deals reasonably with the many uncertainties inherent in
the near term future of these functions within the Internet community.

(5) The proposal supports and promotes desirable attributes of the Internet,
including
openness, interoperability, and technological innovation.

Faculty, researchers, students and staff at EDUCAUSE member institutions
have participated actively in the development of the Internet since
its inception more than twenty-five years ago. Much of the original
research and applied development of Internet
technology has been accomplished on American university campuses.  These
schools currently own and operate more than four million directly
connected Internet hosts in the .edu domain.
As major Internet stakeholders, our members are committed to
the principles set forth above and we will support the IANA
corporation's startup and continuing role in Internet management
as fully as possible.

Sincerely yours,

Mark Luker, Vice President
Brian L. Hawkins, President