Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re:you should be outraged that a few members [I know I am djf]

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 12:03:22 -0400

Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 11:01:15 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Stephen Haynes <haynesmn () ix netcom com>

Dave -

People, hopefully including IPers, will be using a variety of methods to
respond to this Congressional action.  Personally, I wrote my
Representative and both Senators via their web pages or email addresses the
following, which might serve as a model for others:

        I understand that as part of a House/Senate Conference
        Committee rewrite of a recent "intelligence authorization"
        legislation, the Committee inserted a provision that
        authorizes broad "roving wiretap" authorization.  I
        consider this a gross violation of civil liberties.
        If you voted for this bill including this provision,
        knowing or unknowing that the wiretap provision was
        included, shame, shame!  I should like to know your
        position on this matter, and what steps will be taken
        to rescind this authority.

Stephen Haynes