Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: required nat'l ID card) Our Freedom at Stake!

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 05:34:16 -0400

From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>

Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 17:18:19 -0400
To: jross () rosseng com
From: "James A. Ross" <jross () rosseng com>
Subject: Urgent Message;  Our Freedom at Stake!
Cc: Senator_Robb () robb senate gov, senator () warner senate gov

Friend,

       A short time ago a message from me caught the eye of a lady, DM
Kozak, and she went to work to dig out all of the details of our
government's plan to force all of us to carry a government-approve ID card.

       Tomorrow, October 2, is the last day to send your comments to the
Department of Transportation.  The letter that follows is a suggestion she
sent to us; we're mailing our copy tonight tonight.

Mr. & Mrs. James A. Ross
908 W. Poplar Rd.
Sterling, V 20164

October 1, 1998

Docket Management, Room PL-401
National Highway Traffic-Safety Administration
Nassif Building
400 Seventh Street, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20590

Re: Docket No. NHTSA-98-3945
DOCID:fr17jn98-28
23 CFR Part 1331: Proposed Rule: State-Issued Driver's Licenses and
Comparable Identification Documents

Dear Sirs:

Please include my written objection to the proposed regulations regarding
the federal standards for state-issued driver's licenses and comparable
identification documents as part of public record.  Because these proposed
Department of Transportation(DoT) regulations will provide for the creation
a National ID card that will allow the government to monitor a private
citizen's movements, and track his medical and financial transactions, I am
requesting that the rules be withdrawn.  The rules can then be rewritten
and resubmitted with sufficient protection mechanisms to prohibit the
creation of a National ID card.

If these rules are adopted in the current form, on October 1, 2000,
law-abiding citizens will find themselves stripped of their ability to
participate in life as we know it unless they carry a state-issued ID which
conforms to the required federal standards.  Americans will not be able to
get a job, open a bank account, apply for Social Security or Medicate,
exercise their Second Amendment rights, or even take an airplane flight
unless they can produce a state-issued ID that conforms to the federal
specifications.

This invasion of privacy and the DoT's illicit extended use of the SSN will
justify the numerous state and federal proposals to link even more private
information,, such as health records and travel information, by means of
the SSN.  This "Big Brother" inclination by government agencies to collect
and maintain vast databases of personal, economic and medical information
on every citizen poses a direct threat to our constitutional liberties.

My family's privacy and freedom are very important to me, and as a taxpayer
being asked to foot the bill for this unconstitutional invasion, I urge you
to withdraw the proposed rules and take all necessary actions when
rewriting them to prohibit the creation of a National ID.

I would like to be informed of any actions you take with regard to these
rules based on public comments.

Sincerely,