Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: FCC comm. Furchtgott-Roth on "voluntary" self-regulation

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 09:23:16 -0500

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

I was at the luncheon last week but didn't have time to write an article about
this speech. It is an important one: in the strongest possible language,
Furchtgott-Roth denounced so-called "voluntary self-regulation." Think this
applies only to the V-chip-plagued broadcast industry? Guess again. Remember
what was being seriously considered in mid-1997:
  http://cgi.pathfinder.com/time/digital/daily/0,2822,12297,00.html

Unfortunately, Furchtgott-Roth is definitely in the minority among the FCC's
five commissioners.

-Declan

=========