Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The European Parliament's role in the European Union

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 05:58:06 -0500

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 11:51:35 +0100
From: David WILLIAMS <David.O.Williams () cern ch>

Dave,

  In trying to correct "a few inaccuracies" and make some "important nuances"
in relation to Echelcon, Kenn Cukier has introduced some significant biases of
his own concerning the European Parliament.

  Americans mainly worked out the relationships between the multiple arms of
their State and Federal governments during the 18th and 19th centuries, even if
things are still changing. At the continent-wide level we Europeans only
started
travelling down this road seriously during the past 20 years, so you will have
to be patient with us awhile yet.

  The main point to retain is that the European Parliament is one important
*component*, the continent-wide democratic forum, of the European Union. While
Kenn's opinion that "the Parliament is an impotent forum with no policy-making
powers" is a widely held opinion, and often actively fostered in national
capitals and by various of the other arms of the EU, it is simply not true.

  Just to take one example from the rather clear set of explanations on the
Parliament's Web site
(http://www.europarl.eu.int/dg7/survol/en/bro_en3.htm#1):-  "The co-decision
procedure [in which the European Parliament shares legislative power with the
heads of European governments meeting as the European Council - my added
explanation] applies to the following areas: the free movement of workers, the
establishment of the internal market, technological R&D, the environment,
consumer protection, education, culture and health."

  It is certainly true that the national governments have tried to guard
defence
and national security issues for themselves, as far as possible, and I have to
agree with Kenn's assessment that the STOA of the Parliament is not a real
political heavyweight. But if we announce to the world that the Parliament is
impotent, then its very real powers will wither, rather than grow stronger, as
many of us would like to see. An impotent parliament is not what democracy
should be about, and this issue (Echelon) may well be one where a Parliamentary
committee of enquiry would be very helpful for making sure that all of the many
parties involved are taking their responsibilities seriously.

David Williams

IT Division
European Laboratory for Particle Physics (CERN)
CH-1211 Geneva 23
Switzerland