Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Fwd: if this is true, it is serious stuff -- why not send a query to IP?

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 20:26:22 -0500

This was sent to me third hand. If it is accurate AOL needs attitude adjustment, if it is wrong they need an appology .
In either case I will let you know.

Now let me know, you can ask for anonymous reporting if you like

Dave

Unlike all previous versions of America Online, version 4.0 puts
something in your hard drive called a 'cookie'.  (AOL members click <A
HREF="a
ol://4344:1047.g334.8411481.532897009">here for a
definition).  However, the cookie we found on Version 4.0 was far more
treacherous than the simple internet cookie.  How would you like
somebody looking at your entire hard drive, snooping through any (yes,
any) piece of information on your hard drive.  It could also read your
password and log in information and store it deep in the program code.
Well, all previous versions, whether you like it or not, have done this
to a certain extent, but only with files you downloaded.  As me and my
colleagues discovered, with the new version, anytime you are signed on
to AOL, any top aol executive, any aol worker, who has been sworn to
secrecy regarding this feature, can go into your hard drive and retrieve
any piece of information that they so desire.  Billing, download
records, e-mail, directories, personal documents, programs, financial
information, scanned images, etc ... Better start keeping all those
pictures on a floppy disk!

David Farber
The Alfred Fitler Moore Professor of Telecommunication Systems
University of Pennsylvania
Home Page: http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~farber