Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Boomerang

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 17:45:04 -0500

From: "Thomas Newbold" <tomn () terminal cz>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

Hi Dave,
I can't remember whether "Boomerang" has already been covered on the IP
list, but the following is an excerpt from the WSJ Interactive.  Scary
stuff.  Good to see that companies like Discover are carefully thinking
through the implications of the use of such invasive technologies.

Incidentally, if you haven't already, you might want to check out interMute
(www.interMute.com), a great filtering program that puts the controls
(including cookies, ads, referrers, etc) back in your hands.  I am a devoted
user of interMute, but otherwise have no connection with them.

Cheers,
Tom Newbold
tnewbold () thelocalscene com
http://thelocalscene.com
http://www.indiebands.com

<snip>
Cookie Trail

Craftier techniques are about to arrive. Many Web sites already tag
visitors' computers with small files, known as "cookies," that help identify
users on return visits. If they never come back, though, they vanish. No
more. Starting next year, DoubleClick will introduce powerful software that
will let advertisers spot those visitors weeks later on other Web sites.
Then people can be greeted with more ads for the original merchant.

On a recent morning, Mr. Nethercutt and several DoubleClick colleagues
introduce this new service to Lot21 Interactive, a San Francisco ad agency
representing the NationsBank unit of BankAmerica Corp. It is clear that the
new service, called Boomerang, is enticing. When DoubleClick executives
briefly fumble about quoting a price for the service, a Lot21 executive
chides them: "Come on, I brought my checkbook for you."

Boomerang gets a chillier reception on Mr. Nethercutt's next stop. "I'm
worried about a privacy issue here," says Elizabeth Duff, a marketing
manager for the Discover brokerage unit of Morgan Stanley Dean Witter & Co.
Customers might be uneasy about so many of their online habits being shared
with strangers, she says. Her bosses give her a lot of leeway to try new
ideas in cyberspace, she says, but they don't ever want to find Discover in
hot water over its business practices.

<snip>

https://interactive.wsj.com/articles/SB912379479448597000.htm

David Farber
The Alfred Fitler Moore Professor of Telecommunication Systems
University of Pennsylvania
Home Page: http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~farber