Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Cypherpunks recruit Ira Magaziner

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 14:27:09 -0400

******

http://cgi.pathfinder.com/netly/more/1,1311,1971,00.html?pg=2&continue=0

time.com / The Netly News
May 7, 1998

       Has Ira Magaziner become a cypherpunk? "We don't need to go
   through a debate about whether to try to censor the Internet: We
   cannot censor the Internet," the president's Net adviser said Tuesday
   at an Economic Strategy Institute conference. "Whether it's desirable
   or not -- and I would argue it's not -- but whether it's desirable or
   not, you can't do it. And life is too short to spend too much time
   doing things that are impossible." Let's see if Magaziner's boss feels
   the same way when the sequel to the Communications Decency Act arrives
   on President Clinton's desk -- it has been introduced in the House and
   is scheduled for a vote in the full Senate this month.

    [...remainder snipped...]