Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Funny- Microsoft Patents Digits Zero and One

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 13:47:22 -0500

Dave- surely you have seen the satirical mag "the Onion"  out of UW
Madison.  This is a terrific piece on "the latest MS patents."

Lots of laffs, couple of samples:

"Think of this as a partnership," Gates said. "Like the ones and zeroes of
the binary code itself, we must all work together to make the promise of
the computer revolution a reality. As the world's richest, most powerful
software company, Microsoft is number one. And you, the millions of
consumers who use our products, are the zeroes."

"If this patent holds up in federal court, Apple will have no choice but
to convert to analog," said Apple interim CEO Steve Jobs, "and I have
serious doubts whether this company would be able to remain competitive
selling pedal-operated computers
running software off vinyl LPs."

http://www.theonion.com/onion3311/microsoftpatents.html

Jean Armour Polly, Net-mom<R> mom () netmom com
4146 Barker Hill Rd. Jamesville, NY 13078  +1 315 469 8670  -4 UTC

http://www.netmom.com/
west coast mirror: http://www.well.com/user/polly
Author, The Internet Kids and Family Yellow Pages, 2nd Edition
Osborne McGraw-Hill (June 1997)
Net-mom is a Registered Service Mark of Jean Armour Polly.