Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: some comments on -- STUDENTS ARE SLOWPOKES ON USING HIGH-SPEED

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:45:16 +0900

From: Sanjay Udani <udani () dsl cis upenn edu>

Dave,

  At least at Penn this is not the case - the freshman dorm I live in has 10
MBps Ethernet to every room and there is no monthly charge. On average, I'd
estimate there are about 1.5 computers per double room. The network is
heavily utilized - students collaborate on projects, do homework and surf
the net at all hours of the day. A quick look at the Windows Neighborhood
shows at least 100 machines (out of 250 rooms) up most of the time. Some
actually overdo it - I've seen students "chat" with neighbors over the
computer instead of just walking across the hallway. If anything, they are
using the network too much...Ethernet has become one of the major criteria
for many students to stay on campus.

--sanjay

| Sanjay Udani                            Distributed Systems Laboratory |
| CIS/PhD student               University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia |
| Office:(215) 898-5984                             Email: udani () acm org |
| Fax   :(215) 573-2232                    URL: www.cis.upenn.edu/~udani |

and

From: Wayne Rash <wrash () mindspring com>

Dave,

Then there's the other viewpoint. According to my daughter, a physics major
at James Madison University, "Sheesh, dad. All they have here is 10Base-T.
At home we at least had Fast Ethernet. I might as well be using a modem."

I guess it depends on what you're used to.

WR