Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Poppy-killing fungus developed (BBC News)

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 16:01:09 -0400

From: "Robert Raisch" <raisch () internautics com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

(The use of biological weapons in the "war" on drugs seems really ill
conceived to me.  We know so little about the eco-system as it is, what new
horror will we unleash through such efforts?  </rr>)

Poppy-killing fungus developed (BBC News)

Scientists are developing a virulent fungus in an effort to combat the
worldwide trade in heroin.  The fungus kills opium poppies, the raw material
for the drug.

Britain would hope to unleash enough fungus to infect thousands of acres of
poppies in grown in the central Asia region.

America would be expected to deploy it in the "Golden Triangle" regions of
south-east Asia, and South America, where most of its heroin originates,
says the newspaper report.

Full Story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_121000/121735.stm

--
Rob Raisch, Online Technology Evangelist <http://www.raisch.com/>

"He who is unable to live in society, or who has no need because
he is sufficient for himself, must be either a beast or a god."
(Aristotle, 'Politics')