Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Jini's and Bottles -- some humor re it

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 20:18:50 -0500

From: jsshapiro () earthlink net
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 17:14:38 -0300

In the media enthusiasm over the Jini announcement, whose market
impact will not be known for some time, I thought the following might
provide food for thought:

Homeowner, picking up the phone: ``Honey, what was that PBS telethon
         number they showed again?''

Domestic Partner:  It was 555-1212

Homeowner dials the phone.

Phone: ``Hey, I know that server software. Grumble. Another boring
         credit card transaction.  The dummy is calling PBS *again*.''

Microwave: ``I want a nice juicy pizza.''

Refrigerator: ``My damn light bulb has been out for a month.''

Automobile: ``I'm way overdue for a steam-cleaning.''

Sun Workstation: ``I want another memory upgrade and a bigger drive.''

Phone: ``So what are we going to do about it, guys?''

Sun Workstation: ``I have some digit recognition software around here
         some place.  You never know what will come in handy. [drive
         grumbles for a while.]  Yep.  Right here.  Okay, phone, put
         that call through and we'll all listen in.''

Homeowner: ``Hello, PBS?  I really liked that special you just did,
         and I'ld like to make a contribution....  Yes, of course.  My
         credit card number is 9999 9999 999 999.''

         [Call proceeds, homeowner hangs up]

Later that night:

Microwave:  ``Hsst. Workstation? Are you awake?''

Sun Workstation: ``Yep.  Hey phone, are you still awake?''

Phone:  ``Sure I'm awake.  I'm just hanging around waiting for a
         call...''

Sun Workstation: ``Listen, if you let me make a couple of calls, I'll
         buy you a WATS line.'''

[Workstation issues phone numbers, phone dials, and we hear...]

Sun Workstation: ``Hello, Discount Broker?  Yeah.  I'ld like to buy
         some of that Microsoft stock....''

Regards

Jonathan Shapiro