Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: THAT ``warranty card''

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 17:03:53 -0500

Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 08:55:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dan Gillmor <dgillmor () sjmercury com>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>

http://www.mercurycenter.com/columnists/gillmor/docs/dg071298.htm

THAT ``warranty card'' you filled out last week didn't ensure that your
new appliance would be fixed or replaced if it stopped working. The
warranty went into effect the minute you spent your money and got your
receipt.

The real purpose of the card was to capture your personal information into
a marketer's database, from which it could be rented or sold to other
people who wanted to know more about you. Buying and selling your personal
data is big business in America.

It isn't in Europe, however, and a new set of regulations there could turn
out to be a timely pro-privacy catalyst in the United States. I say
``could'' because I doubt that the Clinton administration and corporate
America, largely tone-deaf on privacy issues until recently, will be wise
enough to seize the opportunity.