Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Opportunity & The New Energy Resource Alliance Project

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 11:07:13 -0500

Date: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 21:47:33 -0500
From: jgill <jgill () penfield-gill com>

Dave,

Happy New Year!

IP members might be interested in a short essay of mine at:

            http://www.penfield-gill.com/presentations/essays/ERA98.html

The first two paragraphs:

            Opportunity & The New Energy Resource Alliance Project

Is the carbon-dependent view of our energy and environmental options, as
widely advertised by some, the only choice we have? What if we change
energy strategies? Is it a given that we must we lose jobs?  Live in
cold, dark houses? Drive less and pay more? Forget cookouts and mowing
the grass? Or could it be instead that the energy situation we face
today is a huge, and vastly profitable, business opportunity? Consider
that 40% of the world’s population, 2 billion humans living in over
600,000 villages, have no electricity. This suggests that we are
currently producing only about 60% of the electricity the world
requires! I.E., the market needs to grow tremendously.  Changing energy
strategies presents us an enormous opportunity for a better quality of
life as well as an enormous market to develop.

Far from decreasing global energy production, it must be increased
dramatically. This is the only way the Industrialized Nations can meet
their obligations with respect to the Less Developed Countries. Yes,
energy should be used more efficiently and with better understanding and
wisdom, but no amount of conservation will ever deliver electricity
where there is none.

Regards,

Jock

--