Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: DNS and Magaziner

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 14:48:55 -0500

From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>

Here is an excerpt from an interview with Ira Magaziner published in
NetWorld Fusion.

      Q. The administration's proposal for the Domain Name
         System changes is due out next week. Are you going to back the
         ISOC's Council of Registrars [CORE], a group of approved
         registrars that will compete against one another to assign .net,
         .org and .com domains as well as seven proposed generic top-level
         domains?

      A. No, we're not going to back any one or another group.
         I think we're concerned with trying to create a system that will
         preserve the stability of the Internet and move to a more private
         competitive international system. And I'm sure the CORE
         activities will be part of whatever occurs, but it's not going to
         be that we're going to back one group vs. another

You can read the whole thing at http://www.nwfusion.com/news/0115ira.html
but you have to sign up for a free registration in order to get to the
article.

The main thing is that it does not appear that the government is going to
bless anyone nor are they going to place brick walls in front of anyone
but they are willing to allow the marketplace to decide the issue.

--

http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael () memra com