Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: It is with great personal sorrow I pass on to you that

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 20:11:18 -0500

Dick was the most instrumental force in setting my career on the path I
took. He befriended me as a young MTS at Bell Labs and was both a friend,a
colleague and an advisor. Dick always asked the right question at the right
time. I, and GG and the rest of those who knew him well, will miss his
guidance and especially his humor.

Dave

RICHARD W. HAMMING died at  82

   Frustrated with computers' lack of reliability, mathematician created an
error-correcting code that is still used in just about any device with a
microchip inside.

http://www.wired.com/news/news/email/member/technology/story/9579.html