Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: IAB comments on Green Paper

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 09:19:36 -0500

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 11:41:39 +0000
From: Brian E Carpenter <brian () hursley ibm com>
To: ietf () ns ietf org

Note to the IETF from the IAB:

The IAB has carefully studied the US Government Green Paper
at http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/dnsdrft.htm
and has considered the opinions expressed on the
IETF and other mailing lists. We have sent the attached note
to Ira Magaziner in response to the Green Paper.

The IAB will not comment on who should or should not
be entitled to operate a gTLD registry. There is clearly no
consensus on this in the IETF. It is also a question
affecting business practices, which is not a legitimate subject
of debate for a standards organization under anti-trust law.
The IAB was happy to nominate technical representatives to
the IAHC, and to the gTLD-MOU POC, and within reason would do
the same for any IANA-approved gTLD registry requesting technical
advice.