Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: China 5000

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 15:59:36 -0500

Last night, GG and I have the privilege to be invited to the pre-opening
affair at the Solomon  R. Guggenheim Museum in NYC. China 5000 is an
exhibit that took 3 years to negotiate with the Chinese government and has
a unique set of exhibitions of Song paintings, three of the famous terra
cotta figures and a horse from . , and marvelous jade and pottery. It is a
must see if you are near NYC. I will be trying to talk them into putting it
up on the web but I suspect that will take time.

There was an excellent dinner held in the main museum and as we sat we saw
the terra cotta figures. We were invited by the Chairman of Nokia, one of
the sponsors of the show,  and enjoyed yet again the Finnish hospitality.

The Secretary General of the UN spoke as did the Ambassador of China..

Wonderful evening.

Dave