Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Text of student criticism of high school

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 09:12:17 -0500

I could not agree more with Declan. Parents are responsible to punish such speech NOT arbitrary application of school
administrators. They the school, are notorious for ignoring the Bill of Rights and even the law. For example in Penn
there is no requirement for school children to recite the pledge of allegiance  if they object to it, yet school
authorities to my personal knowledge (a number of years ago) still pressured and pushed a person to do so even when the
law said something else.

Dave
ps the ACLU has several pamphlets in states giving school rights (at least on  paper)

To: "Larry Andrew" <LLAndrew () powersurge net>
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

Seems to me that what the kids did was offensive, but parents should be the
ones to punish them. If we allow school administrators to punish kids for
what they do and say when at home, we open the door to a more unpleasant
situation than a few nasty words on a web page.

-Declan