Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Indian and the net

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 10:38:09 -0500

While motivated by my trial testimony it has more to do with the impact of the network on people .. djf

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 05:50:59 +0530
From: Dominic <tempest () vsnl com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

    your reasoned testimony (microsoft) is an important contribution to
a case (and debate) that should not be allowed to tail off into infinite
legality.  yet I cannot help but think that too much emphasis is being
placed on technology.  the core issue, surely, is one of democracy, even
liberty, and hence talk of browses, etc. takes on deeper, mor subtle
shades of  meaning.

    this country is an interesting case study.  because we steal with
impunity, the legalities hold little immediate significance for most
Indians.  but the impact of computer technology in general and the web
in particular on this culture are phenomenal.   a society riddled with
caste and prejudice has found a new avatar.  today, every small town and
even village have computer training schools which, no matter how
limited, hold the potential to turn a young person on to a new
beginning.  once tuned, he or she confronts no immediate hierarchies as
in most other industries.

    as a result, India finally has a modern sector where you don't have
to be from a middle class background to make a major contribution.  lads
from small backwaters mix with graduates from IIT, ITT, etc.  it warms
the heart to be part of this scene.

    this can only be enhanced by open architecture.  it is the ease with
which one can make a contribution that powers such dynamic social
change.  as such, your words resonate far beyond the courtroom sir.  so
thank you for these.

sincerely,
dominic watson.