Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: IBM'ers view

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 16:53:06 -0500

Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 16:47:06 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu (David Farber)
From: "Richard J. Solomon" <richard () goodread com>
Subject: IBM'ers view

improvements such as ubiquitous e-mail, on-line chatting, Internet voice
communication, distance-learning and better multicultural appreciation.

Every media invention has heralded the lowering of cultural frictions, and every one has caused new, unanticipated
problems. Railroads, airplanes, telegraphs, radio, television were supposed to eliminate war. I could fill a book with
quotes. Instantaneous borderless information.... Maybe this time?

It's worth asking: what's wrong with this picture? Why can't we anticipate these things? Was the domain
name/copyright/trademark conundrum so hard to imagine just 15 years ago when the Web was being promulgated? Here we
have IBM trademarking "E-businessĀ". Gimme a break...

What are we ignoring now? Would anyone pay for a serious hard look?

Richard
Tel: 413-267-5171
Fax: 413-267-5172