Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Some more on Registered Trademark

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 15:01:56 -0500

From: "Larry Andrew" <LLAndrew () powersurge net>
To: <johnmac () acm org>

John,
I saw your comment about the "listserv" trademark in the IP list and sent my
comment to Connie Newman.  Her response is below.  I examined the web sight,
understand her argument, and find it lacking.  I do not consider it
responsible use of the trademark function as L-soft should have registered
the word years earlier if they had planned on doing so.

Unfortunately, even though something may be legal, it is not necessarily
right, correct, moral, or ethical.  Look at what is happening in the
impeachment hearings these days.  (I am NOT expressing my personal beliefs
at this point, either way.)  Ever hear the quote about "...then the law is
an ass"?

Unfortunately,  the ones who sort all this out in our society are the
<shudder> lawyers!

Anyway, good luck with your LISTSERV (R) articles.

Larry Andrew
Assistant Professor of MIS
Division of Business
Upper Iowa University