Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: "Anti-Intel e-mail halted"

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 22:08:51 -0500

Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 17:45:56 -0800
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Suzanne Johnson <fuhn () ricochet net>
Subject: "Anti-Intel e-mail halted"

Dave..
The front page headline on today's print edition of the San Jose Mercury
News was:

"Anti-Intel e-mail halted"

The story describes a Sacramento County Superior Judge's unprecedented move
to grant a temporary injunction against a former Intel employee who has
been sending email to Intel employees in which he basically states his
opinion that Intel has been unfair to, and has mistreated, some former
employees.  The mail does not fall into the category of Spam, rather the
article seems to indicate that Intel is trying to stop it on the basis of
trespassing into a private space.  The full article can be found at:

http://www.mercurycenter.com/premium/front/docs/email04.htm

As a former Intel employee (I connected them to the Internet in 1986), this
has a bit of the feeling of one portion of a large company doing something
without thinking about the overall impact on the rest of the company.  I'm
not sure if I feel more embarrassment or disbelief.

                Suzanne Johnson
                fuhn () ricochet net