Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: LAPD wiretapping -- for Calif people

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 03:12:43 -0300

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 12:59:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: James Ausman <ausman () CSUA Berkeley EDU>
To: declan () well com
Cc: ausman () CSUA Berkeley EDU
Subject: LAPD wiretapping

SFPD has also engaged in extensive wiretapping and other electronic
eavesdropping, especially against political opponents and possible
"terrorist" threats. After a brouhaha about this in the 80's, the
police moved their files into the hand of "Private Investigators"
(almost all ex-SFPD) and continued their use. Now at least, we know
how the information gets from the private sector into the hands of
the police.

I would propose that those of us that live in San Francisco put an
ordinance on the ballot that outlaws wiretapping or any other
form of electronic survelliance by the City or County of San Francisco.
It is really not that hard to get an ordinance on the ballot: it
only requires 10,000 signatures. Plus, this seems like the sort of
thing that a lot of people would be willing to sign. If anyone is
interested in working with me on this, drop me a line.

Jim

---
ser y no ser resultan ser la vida. -Neruda