Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Computer disc scanning [In response to a query prompted by IP]

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 16:44:23 -0300

I still wonder what else they might take off of disk files -- corporate memos etc djf

Subject: Computer disc scanning  [In response to a query prompted by IP]

Please look at our page http://www.open.gov.uk/customs/discscan.htm (which
will be on later this morning), which gives the answer to your query.
Patsy McKee, HM Customs & Excise Web Publisher.

Computer hard disc scanning by HM Customs & Excise

Back to What's New

A traveller was recently stopped at Waterloo after arriving from Paris with a laptop computer. The computer hard disc
was
scanned for potential indecent or obscene images.

Just as Customs regularly intercept and examine baggage, items of mail, courier despatched material, and consignments of
freight which might contain indecent or obscene material or other prohibited items we also examine the content of
computer
files. For obvious reasons we do not normally comment on operational methodologies or technical equipment.

Officers may examine laptop computers because experience has shown that these are being used to smuggle appalling
paedophile images. These "scans" are done in the presence of the passenger. We would be failing the public if we were to
ignore the scope for smuggling paedophile and other obscene material by this means.

Officers routinely encounter all manner of people and goods in their work, and, as you will appreciate, cannot be
expected to
be experts in every field. However, technical staff are available to assist where necessary.