Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: MS vis the States

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 10:59:18 -0400

[ This is a dangerous path that the states are going. I personally can see
states starting to block the distribution of things that they find
uncomfortable .. like maybe games with a anti meat theame (yes I know it is
about antitrust) (and yes I would feel better if the prime anrti-ms person
in the Senate was not from Novelle country). Wonder if next they will ban
pentium IIIs  ps I do not consult for MS and have no MS stock -- damn it djf]

States may block Win 98

A dozen attorneys general reportedly considering a preliminary injunction

April 24, 1998: 6:26 p.m. ET

Microsoft Corp.

NEW YORK (CNNfn) - Officials from a dozen states that have been preparing
antitrust actions against Microsoft Corp. said Friday they are planning to
block the scheduled June 25 shipment of Windows 98. A source from one of
the states told CNNfn the states plan to file some kind of joint action,
possibly a request for a preliminary injunction, as soon as April 30.
Microsoft is scheduled to ship Windows 98, the next version of its
operating system, to PC makers next month. The Justice Department has also
been looking into possible action against Windows 98 as part of its
long-running antitrust suit against Microsoft. Earlier this month,
attorneys general from Texas, Ohio and Wisconsin confirmed they are
mounting independent probes of the software behemoth. The states don't want
Windows 98 shipped until they can hold hearings to probe their concerns
that Microsoft's business practices are anticompetitive. The action would
block the master code sent to PC makers to put on their computers. It would
also block the shipment of Windows 98 in shrink-wrapped packages to stores
for consumers who want to install the upgrade themselves. "They want to
disrupt the entire industry," said Microsoft spokesman Mike Murray.
"Hundreds of computer makers gearing up, thousands of Windows 98
resellers." Murray said if the states are successful it would "derail
hundreds of millions of dollars of business. Not by Microsoft, but
companies unrelated to Microsoft." News of the states' possible action was
first reported Friday by PC Week Online. Microsoft shares closed Friday at
92, off 2-1/