Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Netly News on Walter Cronkite and hacker-trackers

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 19:10:31 -0400

Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 09:11:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

http://cgi.pathfinder.com/netly/opinion/0,1042,1875,00.html

The Netly News
April 6, 1998

         *  *  *

        The man a generation of Americans turned to for news wants to see
   federal regulation of web sites. Former CBS News anchor Walter
   Cronkite said at a National Press Club luncheon on Friday that the
   Internet should be protected from censorship, "but on the other hand
   -- I'd love to see some legislation to this effect -- we should place
   a heavy responsibility on all who use the Internet to clearly identify
   themselves." Perhaps with visions of Internet bottom feeder Matt
   Drudge in mind, the assembled Washington press corps doltishly
   applauded. But would this be the end of anonymous or pseudonymous
   sites such as suck.com? Cronkite griped, "You don't know where you can
   go to appeal, and this is obviously grossly unfair and unjust." When
   press club president Douglas Harbrecht asked Cronkite if he himself
   logged on, he demurred. "I hate to answer that truthfully because if I
   do, I will look like I am so old up here that I probably ought to get
   off this podium and get out to a retirement home somewhere," he said.
   "But I find that I don't have the time to surf the Internet." Guess he
   never saw the Walter Cronkite Didn't Really Spit in My Food Page.

         *  *  *

        The National Infrastructure Protection Center is looking for a
   few good hacker-trackers. The multiagency government group's purpose
   is to respond to "cyber-attacks," mostly hacker intrusions into
   government and private-sector computers. Qualifications for the job
   include outstanding technical expertise -- or counterintelligence and
   counterterrorism analysis and operations. Fax your r sum  and cover
   letter to Linda McKetney at (202) 324-0311. No e-mail address is
   given.

         *  *  *