Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: ceramic knives

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 16:22:10 -0400

To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman () imc org>
Subject: Re: IP: Tokyo Diary #2

piles of ceramic kitchen knives

You've now mentioned these twice now. So, what's the story? The list might
even be interested: good hardware doesn't have to have a chip in it

<<<<

I have been asked by several people about these knives. They are cast
ceramic made by Kyocera. They come in three sizes. The largest is sub
carving  and the smallest a big fruit knife. Available with plastic and
wooden handles. The price of the largest is 6000 Yen and the smallest 3500
Yen (plastic) Wood is more.

I got them at Mitsukoshi.

They are incredibly sharp and done get dull. They are ceramic and while not
fragile they don't take abuse. GG and I like them a lot and now have all
three sizes. I have seen them in a specialty catalog in the USA  at a lot
more money and never in any store.

When I returned I checked my luggage. I wonder if they show up on Xray.

Dave

 safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."       - Ben Franklin, ~1784