Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: food for thought.... [ I fully agree with this!! djf]

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 19:22:16 -0400

To: farber () cis upenn edu
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 18:56:53 -0400
From: "Mike O'Dell" <mo () UU NET>

Subject: "Key Compromise" encryption....

in discussions with legislative staffers, I have taken to calling
the proposal "mandatory key compromise" and "key-compromised
encryption" versus "uncompromised encryption"

i point out that if, as the language of the amendment demands,
that cleartext be immediately available to a third party without
knowledge or participation of the originator, that is the very
definition of a compromised cryptosystem and therefore
any system with that capability is *not* encryption, or
at least can only be said to be "key-compromised".

when you talk about corporate trade secrets being *mandatorily
compromised* you get people's attention.

i suggest we take a page from their patron saint, George Orwell,
and take command of the language of this discourse.

yours for newer thinking

        -mo

 safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."       - Ben Franklin, ~1784