Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re: Telstra Legal Challenge to FCC

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 12:05:40 -0400

Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 13:38:23 +0100
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Charlie Harris <charlie () harris u-net com>
Subject: Re: IP: Telstra Legal Challenge to FCC

Dave,

Apropos the dominance of telcos in transmitting Internet data, you may have
seen yesterday's report that Norweb, a British electricity utility, is
planning to "send Internet signals into people's homes via electricity lines".

(In fact, unless I'm mistaken, my own ISP U-Net already uses Energis for
its backbone, which uses National Grid power lines)

The Independent newspaper today goes further and talks about using 13 amp
lines to communicate remotely with our fridges and video recorders,
dialling up from the office to check the contents of the fridge by webcam,
or set the video to record the afternoon soap.

In any case, if we all end up communicating through the electric socket in
the wall, where does this leave the current telecoms giants (pun intended)?

Full story:
<http://www.yahoo.co.uk/headlines/971008/news/876310480-8763103675.html>

Best,

Charlie Harris
Charlie Harris    Footloose Films
charlie () harris u-net com

Internet Research FAQ: http://www.purefiction.com/pages/res1.htm

"Photons have neither morals nor visas"  --  Dave Farber 1996