Interesting People mailing list archives

Vice President's press release on high speed connection (vBNS)

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 11:46:39 -0400

THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Vice President
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE    Contact: (202) 456-7035
Tuesday, May 20, 1997

VICE PRESIDENT GORE ANNOUNCES NEW CONNECTIONS
TO HIGH-SPEED NETWORK
Establishes foundation for "Next Generation Internet"

WASHINGTON -- Vice President Gore today (5/20) announced that the National
Science Foundation is awarding $12.3 million in grants to 35 research
institutions across the United States to allow them to connect to the very
high
speed Backbone Network Service (vBNS) -- a network that will soon be fast
enough to transmit all 30 volumes of the Encyclopedia Britannica in under a
second.  These grants will bring the total number of research institutions
connected to vBNS to 64.

"Today,s announcement is part of a strategy that will allow researchers to
push forward the frontiers of science in ways that we can only dream about,"
said the Vice President.  "Scientists will be able to use remote
supercomputers, collaborate effectively with other scientists around the
country, and easily access huge quantities of data.  This will lead to
advances
in our ability to predict the weather, find cures for genetic diseases, and
accurately model the health of our environment."

The NSF grants help set the foundation for the Administration,s Next
Generation Internet (NGI) initiative, a $100 million per year, 3-year project
that will:

 Connect more than 100 research institutions at speeds that are 100 - 1,000
times faster than today's Internet;

 Invest in research and development for new networking technologies, such as
the ability to handle real-time, multimedia traffic; and

 Demonstrate new applications in areas such as distance education,
telemedicine, national security, and "collaboratories" (laboratories without
walls).

 Private sector companies will commercialize the new technologies that are
developed as part of the NGI initiative -- generating economic growth, new
jobs, and new services for the tens of millions of Internet users.

 "Previous government investments in research networks, such as the ARPANET
and
the NSFNET, have produced huge payoffs for our economy and our society," said
the Vice President.  "The Internet boom has generated $200 billion in
economic
value for new and existing firms, and hundreds of thousands of high-wage
jobs.
It is also allowing us to connect all of our children to the same universe of
knowledge.  The Next Generation Internet initiative is a critical
investment in
our future -- and will serve as a catalyst for the new networks and networked
applications of the 21st century."

 The NGI initiative is a partnership between industry, academia, and
government
agencies (the National Science Foundation, the Department of Defense, the
Department of Energy, NASA, the National Library of Medicine, and the
National
Institute of Standards and Technology).  It has been endorsed by industry
leaders at companies such as MCI, Sun, Silicon Graphics, Cisco, General
Electric, Teledesic, Novell, Ipsilon, Lucent Technologies, and Fore Systems.