Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: a view of Geneva meeting

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 17:16:34 -0400

Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 10:59:33 +0200
To: (iahc-interest), com-priv () lists psi com
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker () brandenburg com>

1 May 97, 10:00, GENEVA (Personal Comments):

        After two days of intense, challenging, frank and open exchange
(and debate) we have just completed the formal signing ceremony for the
gTLD Memorandum of Understanding, as developed by the IAHC.  At the
beginning of this conference, approximately 50 organizations had stated
their intent to sign.  After the frank and open exchange, approximately 80
organization have signed.

        Signatories come from all over globe and a wide range of
organizations and industries.  The complete list will be posted shortly.

        Many participants in the conference arrived with deep concerns
about the plan and the two days of discussion developed a very strong
consensus.  It is uniformly agreed that the structure being put into place
is a beginning -- not an end -- of the development effort and will very
much be expected to evolve.  By signing the Memorandum of Understanding,
organizations are stating their desire to participate in the creating the
evolution.

        Signatories have the option of joining the Policy Advisory Body
(PAB) which is the portion of the gTLD structure intended to provide
broad-based community review and advise.  Participants in the conference
developed a strong sense of concern and hope that the PAB would become
active and constructive in the process of gTLD evolution.

        An example of the energy and commitment which was produced over the
course of the conference is the spontaneous decision to hold an immediate
meeting of those PAB members present, for the remainder of this morning.
As with all Internet-based bodies, formal and continued discussion with be
conducted over the net, with a PAB mailing list.  The list will be
operational shortly.

        Speaking personally, I would like to express my own, very deep
appreciation for both the seriousness of the concerns expressed and the
degree of the enthusiasm which developed over the course of the conference.
We have by no means resolved everyone's concerns but we have developed a
basis for pursuing them.  This is a major achievement and it requires a
basic sense of personal ownership by each participant, for the tasks facing
us.

d/

Dave Crocker, Director                                       +1 408 246 8253
Internet Mail Consortium                                 (f) +1 408 249 6205
127 Segre Place                                             dcrocker () imc org
Santa Cruz, CA  95060 USA                                 http://www.imc.org

Also: IAHC member, expressing personal opinions          http://www.iahc.org