Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Internic service and for this we pay them!!!! (and it

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 17:50:09 -0500

From: Wireless Internet & Mobile Computing <areiter () ibm net>
Subject: Web Site Problems
Date: Sunday, March 09, 1997 11:38 AM

For the past week or so, our Web site,
http://www.wirelessinternet.com, has been
out of commission because of what appears to
be incompetence on the part of InterNIC
(http://www.internic.net).

InterNIC is the organization that registers
domain names and recently began charging $100
for two-year registrations.  It is charging $100
to provide, it says, better service and to keep
up with demand.

My Internet Service Provider paid the $100 for
"wirelessinternet.com."  He got another bill and
paid another $100.  A couple of weeks ago I got
an e-mail from InterNIC that said I have five days
to -- you guessed it -- pay for my domain name.
I paid that via InterNIC's telephone response system
 -- and I received a confirmation number to prove
it (along with confirmation from my Visa company
which has a record of the payment.)

So, InterNIC now has $300 for my domain name --
the equivalent of SIX YEARS of registration.

What's the result?  If you try to get to my Web
site, you get the message:  "The server does
not have a DNS entry."  In addition, if you try
to send me e-mail to reiter () wirelessinternet com,
it will be bounced back.

So, please send any e-mail to me at:
areiter () ibm net (no, I don't work there;
it's just another ISP.) or to my wireless
address: reiter () radiomail net.

I'm very sorry if this has caused any
inconvenience.  I'm sure the matter will be
resolved soon.  (By-the-way, a copy of this
message is being sent to the InterNIC.)

Alan A. Reiter
Editor and President, Wireless Internet & Mobile Computing
Phone:  301-951-0385  Fax:  301-951-0387