Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Joint Policy Statement on Scietific Research

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 20:14:28 -0500

The American Institute of Physics Bulletin of Science Policy News
Number 34: March 4, 1997

AAPM, AAS, AGU, AIP, APS, and OSA Issue Statement on Scientific
Research

In an unprecedented effort to increase federal research funding,
23 organizations spanning the scientific and engineering
community have issued a Joint Statement on Scientific Research
calling for an increase in federal research budgets in the range
of 7 percent for FY 1998.  At a well-attended press conference
this afternoon in Washington, D.C., American Physical Society
President D. Allan Bromley and American Astronomical Society
President Andrea Dupree joined with the presidents of the
American Chemical Society and American Mathematical Society in
calling  on Congress and the Clinton Administration "to renew the
nation's historical commitment to scientific research and
education."

This effort is notable because the 23 organizations represent a
cross section of scientific and engineering disciplines,
representing 108 different societies, associations, and
organizations with well over 1,000,000 members.  The text of the
Joint Statement on Scientific Research follows:

"As the federal government develops its spending plans for Fiscal
Year 1998, we call upon the President and Members of Congress to
renew the nation's historical commitment to scientific research
and education by providing the requisite funding for the federal
agencies charged with these responsibilities.  Our call is based
upon two fundamental principles that are well accepted by policy
makers in both political parties.

- The federal investment in scientific research is vital to four
national goals: our economic competitiveness, our medical health,
our national security and our quality of life.

- Scientific disciplines are interdependent; therefore, a
comprehensive approach to science funding provides the greatest
opportunity for reaching these goals.

We strongly believe that for our nation to meet the challenges of
the next century, agencies charged with carrying out scientific
research and education require increases in their respective
research budgets of 7 percent for Fiscal Year 1998.  These
agencies include, among others, the NSF, NIH, DOE, DOD, and NASA.
The increases we call for strike a balance between the current
fiscal pressures and the need to invest in activities that enable
long-term economic growth and productivity.  Such increases would
only partially restore the inflationary losses that most of these
agencies suffered during the last few years.

Prudent planning argues for strengthening the respective
activities of major research agencies, as already recognized in
pending legislation.  To constrain still further federal spending
on their scientific programs would jeopardize the future
well-being of our nation."

This statement was endorsed by the Presidents (or the equivalent
officer) of:

American Association of Physicists in Medicine
American Astronomical Society
American Chemical Society
American Geological Institute
American Geophysical Union
American Institute of Biological Sciences
American Institute of Physics
The American Institute of Professional Geologists
American Mathematical Society
The American Physical Society
American Society of Engineering Education
Association for Women in Mathematics
Association for Women in Science
Astronomical Society of the Pacific
Council on Undergraduate Research
Engineering Deans Council
Federation of Materials Societies
Geological Society of America
The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc.
Materials Research Society
Mathematical Association of America
Optical Society of America
Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics

Richard M. Jones
Public Information Division
American Institute of Physics
fyi () aip org