Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The Year 2000 Problem and Java :-)

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 14:05:46 -0400

Quote from Information Week, May 19, 1997, pg. 12

"TIME IS ON JAVA'S SIDE
Sun Microsystems acknowledged last week thaat the Java programming
language has a year 2000-like date error:  It will run out of dates in the
year 292271023.  Yes, thats roughly 292 million years from now.

James Gosling, creator of Java, insists a team of engineers is rushing to
fix the problem.  "We can't be certain Java will be around that long," he
kids, "but then again, we can't take any chances."

In case you were wondering, the year 292271023 is the estimated date for
the year 2000 fix at the IRS."