Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: who won in the CDA

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 19:35:13 -0400

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic () well com>

This is not just a victory for the Internet -- it's a victory for all
Americans, everywhere. The Court has reaffirmed that we can be trusted to
make our own content choices for ourselves and for our children, and that
speech on the Internet should be no less restricted than speech in the New
York Times or the Boston Globe. To quote Alexander Meiklejohn's comment
more than 30 years ago about a different but equally important First
Amendment decision (New York Times Inc. v. Sullivan), the Court's ruling
today is "an occasion for dancing in the streets."

--Mike