Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Editorial comment on Domain name issues PLEASE READ

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 11:54:54 -0400

I have seen a dramatic increase in the harshness of the "dialog" about the
DNS issues. My attitude is normally to publish all sides to an issue and
not to censor content as long as it comes from responsible sources. Given
the raise in nastiness (justified or not) on all sides I will start
rejecting postings that exceed professional levels of discussion in this area.

I call on those interested in seeing the consensus process that has
characterized the net preserved to help me.

To quote Jock Gill in a note sent to me:

"Currently the community is merely proving that the private sector is
unable to intelligently manage the Internet commons for the public good in
an orderly fashion.  This behavior is simply begging the governments to
take over to save their citizens from this failure."

I call on people to send to me substantive issues and questions they would
like to see debated re the substance of the IAHC approach. Please not
issues of past history, behavior of people etc. I will heavily moderate the
discussion of these questions and issues in as unbiased a manner as I can
and lets see if we can move the process forward towards a consensus without
the intervention of the governments.

I am convinced that well over half of those in the IAHC were there because
as one of the people said to me -- he felt he owed a debt to the Internet
that he wanted to help pay off.

Please lets move forward together.

Dave

******Remember  19 June in San Fran******