Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Revenge spam hits antispammer

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 18:45:36 -0400

Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 20:24:15 -0400
From: "Beth Arnold" <betharnold () cfjf dyn ml org>
Subject: Revenge spam hits antispammer

My name is Elisabeth Arnold.  As you may or may not know, I have been the
victim of a massive revenge spam.  I work at a small ISP in New Jersey.
Recently, I pulled a spammer's account for repeated violation of our
acceptable-use policy.  This was 2 weeks ago.  That weekend, a message was
sent out by "Beth Arnold" with a bunch of gibberish and a 200k wav file of
"animal sounds".

This weekend, 2 separate messages were sent, one to participants in the
net-abuse groups -- including a 300k wav file of recordings from the
activity menu of an Audix voice-mail system, and another to participants in
the comp.* and rec.* groups.  You may very well have received this message:

Call BETH ARNOLD at 1-800-450-5766 to order a list of e-mail addresses and
bulk e-mail software.  If you got this message, congratulations.  You are
on a list of e-mail addresses that we sell.  You will receive many more
messages like this one.
[SLIGHTLY EDITED FOR RISKS.  PGN]

This message was obvious flame bait, and it worked very well.  I received
200 calls to my 800 number before disconnecting it.  My mail server was
inundated with mail bombs, returns, and complaints.  My http ports were SYN
attacked.  And I was "ping stormed".

UUNet is useless in tracking this person down.  They just don't care.  I
would appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you, Beth Arnold  betharnold () cfjf dyn ml org

******Remember  19 June in San Fran******

Look at http://www.eff.org/fillmore