Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: AIM Press Release -- response from ISOC

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 10:25:20 -0400

Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 10:20:18 -0400
To: farber () linc cis upenn edu
From: Don Heath <heath () isoc org>
Subject: AIM Press Release

Dave

Here is an excerpt of a note I sent to a reporter at CNET
release of AIM.  I saw that you had put out the release on
your IP list and thought this may be of interest.

don

I just saw the press release regarding AIMs call for an
examination of the operation of the Internet.

This is an attempt at publicity by an organization that would
seem to be a using the notoriety of the open IAHC effort to
further its own survival.

I would ask why they haven't tried to work with the IAHC
effort?  It certainly has been public and open, yet they
have made no attempts to participate, to my knowledge.  And,
here, of course, I am talking about the organiation, not
its members.

In fact, I would call upon its members to seriously question
the motives of the organization's leaders in releasing such
an announcement!  The IAHC plan is open to all and is designed to
serve the Internet stakeholders; it is designed to evolve as
the consensus dictates.  We encourage the members of AIM to
look seriously into the IAHC effort  -  to look directly, not
through the false interpretations of self-serving interests  -
and we believe they, like so many others, will see the merits
of the plan.

The Internet Society and the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
have served the Internet and its users well.  They are dedicated
to the priciples of the IETF which demands "rough consensus," a
term used to define broad and deep agreement among the
stakeholders.  There is no "Ivory Tower" mentality in the Internet
Society nor in the IANA.

This kind of transparent "news" should be investigated
to see how valid its claims and motives are.  I would bet that
a serious look would result in the conclusion that it should be
ignored.  Its claims are just plain false!

Don

Donald M. Heath                                         <heath () isoc org>
President/CEO                                      <http://www.isoc.org>
Internet Society                               Join the Internet Society
12020 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 210                  TEL +703 648 9888
Reston, VA 20191-3429  USA                             FAX +703 648 9887

******Remember  19 June in San Fran******

Look at http://www.eff.org/fillmore