Interesting People mailing list archives

IP more on IP: Domain names and "The Network $olution", from

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 17:42:15 -0400

From: Dave McClure <dpmcc () bellatlantic net>

The National Science Foundation, moving rapidly to privatize the Internet,
has approved the ARIN proposal advanced by Network Solutions, Inc.  In that
proposal, a group of seven Trustees selected by NSI and including Dr.
Donald Telage and Kim Hubbard of that company will manage a monopoly that
will have complete authority over the assignment of IP addresses in North
America.

The proposal was drafted by NSI, largely authored by Hubbard, and submitted
to the NSF for approval by Network Solutions.  Kim Hubbardwill be the
president of ARIN, and some seven other current NSI employees will become
the staff of ARIN.

The ARIN Board of Trustees, having selected itself, will continue to elect
itself.  The Trustees will not be elected by the membership under current
plans, and will not be accountable to anyone for its actions.  ARIN will
immediately begin charging fees for IP registrations and annual
maintenance, with the base fee for a single Class C (/24) set at $2,500.
 Large IPSs will pay for IP address assignments on a sliding scale
depending on the block size, from $2,500 to $20,000 per year.  It is
anticipated that these costs will be passed along to smaller ISPs and
organizational users, as will the annual maintenance fees.

To sell the proposal, NSI has claimed that:

** It will operate as a non-profit, though it does not currently meet the
requirements for a non-profit set forth in section 501(c) of the US tax
code.  It will have difficulty qualifying, since its only purpose for
existence is to sell IP allocations and registrations.

** That it will have a minimal affect on the industry, and on most ISPs.
 Except, of course for the estimated $3.5 million they will pay in its
first year.

**  That it will be accountable to the industry.  There is no mechanism for
accountability to anyone in the current ARIN proposal.

**  That ARIN is similar to RIPE and APNIC.  Except, of course, that those
organizations (which manage IP registrations for Europe and Asia) elect
their officers and Board members, have bylaws and a mission, and are
operated under the direction of the ISPs who pay for their services.

As we have consistently stated, we support the formation of a non-profit to
coordinate IP addresses and allocate them effectively.  Nor do we
particularly have a problem with either Dr. Telage (by all accounts an
honorable man) or even Kim Hubbard (who does have experience managing the
current database).  Our objection is to the structure of ARIN, not its
intent.  But the devil is in the details, and in the case of ARIN the
details are a problem for our industry.

FYI, we spoke last week to Edelman PR, who have been brought in to help
clean up the dismal public communications at NSI.  We have asked them to
broker a meeting between Dennis and Donald Telage in an effort to clear up
these problems so we can support ARIN.  Our efforts to do so in the past
have met with silence or ridicule, but NSI has a new president and we
remain hopeful.