Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: CNET coverage of EFF radio spot

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 08:22:03 -0400

For full article on domestic encryption control:

http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,12317,00.html?cnet.tkr

Article coverage of EFF:

Opponents of McCain-Kerrey are already taking unprecedented steps to state
their case. The Electronic Frontier Foundation, an online rights
organization, has gone beyond its usual Net-based advocacy to create a
60-second radio spot. The commercial urges listeners to contact McCain and
complain about the bill.

"We feel that if this bill passes it will have an extreme impact to privacy
for the American public in the next 100 years, and the majority of people
walking down the street will never know what even happened," EFF executive
director Lori Fena told CNET's NEWS.COM. "We're preaching to the choir
already on the Net; it's more effective to reach people in their cars."

The radio ad is airing this week during rush-hour drive times in San
Francisco, New York, and Washington, D.C. The organization will gauge the
volume of response to the ad before buying more air time, but Fena is
encouraged by the response so far. The nonprofit group has spent "in the
low thousands of  dollars" on the advertisements, Fena added.

Laura Pirri
Membership Director, Electronic Frontier Foundation
"Protecting Rights and Promoting Responsibility in the Electronic Frontier"
415.436.9333     lpirri () eff org     415.436.9993 fax

For information about:
- Individual or corporate membership, stock fund: http://www.eff.org/give
- EFFector Online, EFF's Electronic Newsletter:   http://www.eff.org/EFFector
- eTRUST Privacy Program:                         http://www.eTRUST.org