Interesting People mailing list archives

IP:Re: Eisenhower warned us two parts

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 19:02:26 -0500

Sometimes I wonder if anyone actually  won the cold war. While we have a
long way to go, we are dangerously close to the type of government that we
fought against. The pressures of the cold war brought us Joe McCarthy and
the pressures of the cold war and post cold war are bringing us proposed
laws that slowly and painlessly  offer to strip what is left of the Bill of
Rights. Time to remember Ben Franklin again (and again):

 safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."       - Ben Franklin, ~1784

Dave