Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: a personal remark on meetings

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 18:08:28 -0400

An aside. In  the article Mark mentioned:

But, maybe you didn't hear him say the following in a promotional write-up
for his keynote speech, "Revolt Against the Telecosm," at the upcoming
(September 14-16) Gilder/Forbes invite-only ($3800) "Telecosm" conference
in Palm Springs:

I was "invited" and bluntly I dont have $3800 of spare academic or personal
dollars to throw their way and told one of their people that. I would
rather send some graduate students to meetings. I was looking for a reduced
rate for academics and not-for-profits and government. The answer I got
back was interesting. It was

we'll miss you.  Having that corporate pot is sometimes a big plus

They sure will and they will also miss the other points of view that non
corporate types can bring. Sometimes I get the feeling I should charge
industry a percentage of the additional worth my students bring to these
companies and use that to fund such thinbgs and students and equipment etc.

Annoyed

Dave